Friday, April 06, 2007

Lynn cross-examines famous politician!



Guess who sat in my garden today? This woman here ----->

Yes, its election time and the canvassers were out in force round the doors today. As I opened the door to the young woman representing the SNP I asked her if Nicola Sturgeon was with her as I had one or two questions for her. To my great surprise I was told she was in the street so would I like her to pop by? Yes, I said, bring her round to the back garden!

And so I got 15 mins with the SNP's Deputy Leader, to quiz her on what I felt were the two main issues - immigration/asylum policy and Trident. I explained my political position (disillusioned Labour voter), what I did for a living and briefly described the strength of feeling about asylum seekers amongst members of my church.

I explained that I was disgusted by the callous treatment of fellow human beings and the way I saw Laboour's wholescale movement from left to right (I'm not even going to use the word "drift" here). John Reid has been a tough nut indeed.

She listened intently, answered well and I warmed to her very much, if I am to be honest.(although of course the SNP's hands are tied; the two issues I raised are reserved matters. And I am still not sure that, at the end of the day, a nationalistic party, had they more power, would be totally and 100% behind the cause of asylum seekers. There would be too much economics to sort out)

And here endeth Lynn's party politics for today.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:29 PM

    Wow! What an opportunity! Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed.

    And I have a celebrity reader of this blog......
    (see next post)

    ReplyDelete

In the words of Mrs Doyle in Father Ted, go on, go on, go on........

Leave me a wee message! Only rules - is it true, is it kind, is it necessary?